The skin is the largest external organ in the body. It covers practically every inch of our body that we can see. Yet, most of us tend to overlook even the basic requirements to keep our skin nurtured and healthy in the long run.
This is partly due to busier lifestyles as well as a general lack of awareness of the correct methods to keep one’s skin fresh. Most of us are content with simple face washes and sunscreen, but sometimes, that doesn’t cut it. Neglecting your skin’s wellbeing can lead to complications, so in the interest of averting that, here is some handy information on skin and its proper care.
How Skin Works
There’s a lot more to your skin than what meets the eye. Your skin is the aggregate of millions of skin cells, which consist of 3 primary layers. Let’s take a closer look at each of those layers:
The topmost layer of your skin. Most of what you see of it, though, is dead skin cells. New skin cells rise at the lower levels of the epidermis and make their way up to the surface through constant replacement. Such that, the skin you will have a month from now will be a completely fresh ‘batch’ of skin cells.
The epidermis protects your body from infections and regulates temperature. It’s also devoid of any blood supply, which is why shaving does not make you bleed unless you cut too deep.
Located beneath the epidermis, the dermis packs most of the associated functional cells: sweat glands, blood vessels, hair follicles and many more. Its nerve endings provide us with our sense of touch and heat.
This is what connects our skin to the organs underneath it. Around half of it is body fat, which provides padding for the organs located below it.
Now that we know our skin a little better, let’s answer the burning question:
What difference can regular skincare make?
Any dermatologist at any skin care clinic in Chennai will swear by the benefits that proper skincare brings with it, such as:
- It boosts our overall immunity. The skin is the first line of defense against pathogens, and it needs to be properly maintained to fulfill that role.
- It improves your appearance. This is pretty straightforward. With good skin, you can say goodbye to dark circles, wrinkles and the like. Of course, there’s also the glow that comes with it.
- It gets rid of underlying toxins and excess oil. With smooth skin comes a fresh feeling that has you feeling brisk over longer periods.
You don’t need to burn a hole in your wallet/purse to get the above benefits. Proper skincare is a simple deal, that aims to play to your skin’s strengths to keep it healthy. Here are some easy-to-apply methods to keep your skin in prime condition:
Simple Skincare Tips
1. Know when to wash. While washes do cleanse the skin, they can also do away with the sebum and the essential oils that your skin secretes. Sometimes, a cold water face wash is enough, you don’t have to overuse that face wash gel.
2. Decide a routine based on your skin type. Don’t keep insisting on a skincare routine that is doing nothing for your skin. For example, if you have dry skin, keep it gently moisturized at all times, along with good sunscreen to protect it from overexposure to UV rays.
3. Get good sleep. Our body’s natural cycles are influenced by our sleep cycle. With adequate sleep, your skin can replenish itself at the correct pace, thereby maintaining its health.
4. Drink plenty of water. The importance of this is often underestimated. Optimum water intake helps keep your skin hydrated and flushes out toxins and harmful entities through your skin, that would otherwise degrade it.
5. Focus on all areas of your skin. So many people only focus on the more ‘important’ regions like the face and arms. Ignoring other skin areas can lead to uneven skin tone and issues in those regions. Your feet deserve some love too, don’t forget about them. Every skin cell is equally important!
6. Facials and treatments are an exception. Not a rule. Don’t become over-reliant on spa treatments to keep your skin healthy, overuse of product can hurt your skin. Look for natural options as far as possible.
7. Go for simplicity. If you’re out and about on dusty roads or in the sweltering heat, make sure you have a bag of trusted wet wipes to reduce the strain on your skin. You don’t have to instantly overload on lotions.
These are simple pointers that can go a long way in keeping your skin glowing and healthy. There are also a few myths, however, that influence people’s approach towards skincare for the worse. Some of them are:
Skin Myths Busted
Most skincare problems can be treated through my routine.
If inconveniences like acne are getting out of hand, please don’t ignore them. Seek professional help at skin care clinics in Chennai and choose to save your skin.
I don’t need a cleanser, soap is enough for my facewash.
Some chemical soaps may be too harsh for people to use on the face, especially if they have sensitive skin. Go with a face cleanser for better results. For example, if you’re undergoing acne scar treatment, use products that synergize well with the treatment.
Skincare is only important in the morning and at night before sleep.
Your skin is constantly exposed to external agents throughout the day. To keep it healthy, you have to tend to it as and when required.
For acne treatment, I should pinch the affected area to reduce inflammation and pus.
Trying to forcefully extricate the pimple will only lead to the skin getting irritated further, and cause painful acne scars. Please go with safe and appropriate methods to tackle acne.
This should give you an insight into the importance of regular skincare and the long-term benefits that come with it. Your skin is there for you through night and day. A little care will go a long way.
Welona is one of the premier skincare clinics that offer quality treatment for all your skin needs. With a progressive and patient-friendly approach that doesn’t subscribe to any of the above myths, we guarantee your 100% satisfaction. Get in touch with us to give your skin the best treatment!