Stretch marks are a common skin issue that many people across the world suffer from. However, pregnancy is a major cause of women getting stretch marks. Around 43-80% of stretchmarks cases occur during pregnancy. If you’re dealing with stretch marks, consider using fractional CO2 laser treatment to address them. This minimally invasive method involves a special laser that creates tiny injuries in the skin. This process prompts the body to heal naturally, generating new collagen and elastin fibres. In this article, we’ll discuss fractional CO2 laser for stretch marks treatment, its advantages, how it operates, and what you can anticipate from the procedure.
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks, or striae, are streaks on the skin. They happen when the middle layer of the skin, called the dermis, stretches and tears. This layer supports the outer layers of the skin. Stretch marks usually appear when the skin proliferates or experiences a significant weight change, either gain or loss, in a short time.
Causes of Stretch Marks
- Rapid Weight Changes: Quickly gaining or losing a lot of weight, like in bodybuilding or sudden weight fluctuations, can lead to stretch marks.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Women often get stretch marks during pregnancy because the belly grows rapidly. Breastfeeding can also contribute as the breasts change in size and shape.
- Hormonal Changes: Changes in hormones, like during puberty or other imbalances, can affect the skin’s elasticity, making it more prone to stretch marks.
- Family History: If your close family members have stretch marks, you might be more likely to get them due to a genetic predisposition.
- Ageing: With age, our skin loses its elasticity, making it more prone to stretch marks, especially in areas where the skin stretches or changes shape.
Types of Stretch Marks
- Red/Purple/Blue Stretch Marks: These colours indicate new stretch marks, and they may respond better to treatment.
- White Stretch Marks: Over time, stretch marks fade and turn white. They are more challenging to treat but can improve with the right interventions.
CO2 Laser For Stretch Marks Treatment
A laser called Fractional CO2 LASER breaks its energy into tiny beams and sends them into the skin. This energy is like microscopic channels that go down into the skin and heat the water in the skin tissues. This heat damages or destroys the targeted areas.
This process creates small columns of damaged tissue, known as microthermal treatment zones (MTZs). Each damaged zone is surrounded by healthy skin. Only a part of the skin gets exposed to the laser, which is why it’s called Fractional Photothermolysis (FP). These damaged zones trigger the skin to heal itself by making new tissue and remodelling the skin around it.
Benefits of CO2 Laser Stretch Marks Treatment
Fractional CO2 laser treatment is a great way to make different types of stretch marks less visible. Here are the benefits of using this treatment:
- Improves Skin Look and Feel: This treatment boosts collagen and elastin production, making the treated area look and feel better. It can give you smoother, more youthful skin.
- Tightens Loose Skin: The laser helps tighten the skin, suitable for people with loose or saggy skin in areas with stretch marks.
- Reduces Scarring: The treatment can lessen the look of scars linked to stretch marks. By targeting damaged skin cells and encouraging new skin growth, it creates a smoother and more even skin surface.
- Not Invasive: This laser treatment is safe and doesn’t require surgery. It uses precise laser energy on the affected area without harming the surrounding skin. It’s a safe and easy choice for getting rid of stretch marks.
- Quick Recovery: Compared to more involved treatments, fractional CO2 laser treatment usually has a short recovery time. You can get back to your regular activities soon after the treatment.
- Results in Weeks: You can start seeing the excellent results of the treatment in just a few weeks. However, you might need multiple sessions for the best results, depending on how severe your stretch marks are and how your body responds to the treatment.
Best CO2 Laser Stretch Marks Treatment at Welona Clinic in Chennai
Welona Skin, Hair, and Slimming Clinic in Chennai is the best place to get stretch marks treatment in Chennai. Before the procedure, Welona experts conduct a thorough assessment, including CBC and blood sugar tests. They guide you through obtaining informed consent and capturing photographs for monitoring progress.
A specialized skin preparation program involves sunscreens and topical creams for 4-6 weeks before surgery to minimize postoperative reactions. Both oral and topical medications need to start 15 days before the procedure and continue for 7-10 days afterwards. Excess hair is removed just before the process for specific areas like the thigh and lower abdomen.
The team ensures a safe environment by employing gloves and goggles. A topical anaesthesia cream is applied under occlusion for 1-2 hours before the laser treatment to enhance comfort. The laser parameters are carefully set to align with the treatment goals. The laser is configured for stretch marks with a moderate-to-high density of microthermal zones (MTZ) per square centimetre and high energy. The treatment is performed in a circular or square geometrical shape, with one or two passes over the skin surface based on the specific indication and treatment area.
Fractional CO2 laser treatment is a go-to solution for reducing stretch marks, and places like Welona Clinic in Chennai offer top-notch care. This treatment stimulates the skin’s natural healing process, making it smoother and tighter by producing collagen and elastin fibres.
Besides being practical, Fractional CO2 laser treatment has various benefits. It enhances skin appearance, tightens loose areas, and reduces scarring, all without the need for surgery. It’s a safe and quick procedure, letting you return to your routine shortly after.
Results appear in just a few weeks, although a few sessions might be needed for the best outcome. Say goodbye to stretch marks and hello to smoother, more youthful skin with Fractional CO2 laser treatment. Contact Welona Clinic today!
Can anyone undergo Fractional CO2 laser treatment for stretch marks?
The laser treatment is generally safe, but consulting with a qualified practitioner to know if you are a viable candidate for the treatment based on your skin type, medical history, and specific conditions is necessary.
Does the treatment hurt, and is there any downtime?
A topical anaesthesia cream is applied before the procedure, minimizing discomfort. While there may be some redness post-treatment, downtime is minimal, and patients can usually resume regular activities shortly after.
Are there specific post-treatment care instructions?
Patients need to follow a skincare routine and avoid sun exposure. Topical creams and oral medications may be prescribed to manage discomfort or redness.
How many sessions are typically required, and how long do the results last?
The number of sessions varies, but visible improvements can occur within weeks. Results are long-lasting, especially with proper skin care practices and sun protection.